As this summer heats up, we want to help you stay healthy and “cool as a cucumber.” Cucumbers are a naturally cooling food–internally, they are about 20 degrees cooler than their surroundings and full of water to help keep you hydrated in the heat. Cukes are a perfect hot summer’s day snack!
Cucumbers originated over 4,000 years ago in India and shortly after the tradition of pickling the vegetable began. Pickling started out of necessity. It’s one of the best ways to preserve food for a long period of time making it safe as food for travel or in the less fertile seasons.
Now pickles are known for their probiotic properties: aiding digestion and maintaining a healthy gut microbiome. Along with their health benefits, pickles were attributed as a beauty enhancer as well. Cleopatra claimed that pickles made her beautiful 😉
- Vitamin K: essential in responding to injuries, helps maintain regular blood clotting and supports absorption of calcium (healthy bones)
- Vitamin A: builds body’s immunity, keeps skin and eyes moist, and supports overall eye and vision health
- Vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid): alleviates asthma, hair loss, stress, anxiety, allergies etc, resists infection, produces neurotransmitters, boosts immunity.
- Silica: a trace mineral which helps supports our connective tissue and muscle health
- Molybdenum: fights inflammation and autoimmune diseases, catalyzes enzymes (essential for metabolism, digestion, etc.)
Recipes we love from around the web: