It might sound crazy – dangerous even – but it works. It worked for Jaimi, it worked for Beau, and hopefully, it will work for this video. Breathing through your mouth is known to impact your health in a variety of not-so-desirable ways. 😪If you breathe this way every night when you’re asleep, you’re not going to have good facial posture or adequate oxygenation. If you feel groggy every time you wake up, need to fortify your sinuses, or if you need long-term orthodontic adjustment, taping your mouth shut at night might be the right first step. 🤔Will you suffocate? Will our willing participant, Frank, suffocate? Watch the video to find out!
What is Mouth Taping?
Mouth taping is a home remedy that’s supposed to help treat mouth breathing when you sleep. Mouth breathing itself is associated with numerous health conditions, including snoring, allergies, and oral health.
While some people online swear by taping their mouths as a solution to mouth breathing, the science behind this technique is lacking. Furthermore, there may be some unintentional side effects to contend with.
If you’re wondering whether mouth taping is a viable fad, here’s what you need to know about the potential benefits and risks behind it.
The Weird Benefit Of Mouth Taping That You Should Know About
- Nitric oxide plays a crucial role in your health, and the effects of decreased nitric oxide include worsened heart function, high blood pressure, drop in cognitive function, chronic inflammation, and weakened immunity.
- Nose breathing greatly increases the amount of nitric oxide circulating in your blood, which is why it’s vital to develop good nose breathing habits as early in life as possible.
- Because you spend a third of your life asleep, nose breathing during sleep is a critical part of the equation. Unfortunately, most of us end up breathing through our mouths at some point during the night.
- As weird as it sounds, mouth taping while you sleep is a great way to stop nighttime mouth breathing and improve nose breathing as well as your overall health.
📽️Watch to learn more!
- Raj Dasgupta, MD (2020, August 05). What Is Mouth Taping, and Does It Help Treat Snoring or Sleep Apnea? https://www.healthline.com/health/taping-mouth
- NAAFO (2019, July 24). Live A Healthier Life by Taping Your Mouth Shut https://orthotropics-na.org/live-a-healthier-life-by-taping-your-mouth-shut/
- Mind Body Green. The Weird Benefit Of Mouth Taping That You Should Know About https://somnifix.com/blogs/snews/the-weird-benefit-of-mouth-taping-that-you-should-know-about
Massage and Autonomic Nerve ActivityMassage and Autonomic Nerve ActivityNutrition is More Than DietPlatelets: The Mechanisms of HealingTop 5 Benefits Of an Elite Personal Trainer at Santa Cruz Core (video)