Mangoes rule! They could be considered the king of all fruits!
Some of the reasons you too might fall in love with this delicious fruit are because they fight cancer, alkalize the body, aid in weight loss, regulate diabetes, help digestion, clean your skin, and make the perfect snack.
One cup of mangoes touts the following composition:
One cup of mangoes (225 grams contain) contains the following percentages that apply to daily value.
- 105 calories
- 76 % vitamin C (antioxidant and immune booster)
- 25 % vitamin A (antioxidant and vision)
- 11 % vitamin B6 plus other B vitamins (hormone production in brain and heart disease prevention)
- 9 % healthy probiotic fibre
- 9 % copper (copper is a co-factor for many vital enzymes plus production of red blood cells)
- 7 % potassium (to balance out our high sodium intake)
- 4 % magnesium
Now the question, Mango is so amazing you say, tell me how it actually can do all this?
Here are 5 ways the Mango beats out the banana.
1. You get more bang for your buck. The mango has less calories per gram than the banana. Both are great fruits, and good for you, however when watching the calories one can eat more mango in volume and consume less calories.
2. Eyes. Mango has 23% more vitamin A than a banana. In just one cup of slice mango 25% of an individuals recommended daily intake of Vitamin A can be achieved. Vitamin A is key in eye care, promoting good eye sight, fights dry eyes and can even prevent against night blindness.
3. Boosts the immune system. With 50% more vitamin C than bananas it can help keep that immune system revved and healthy. Having a strong immune system is key in warding off unwanted bacteria and viruses that could attack the body.
4. Cancer Fighter. Antioxidants protect the body against cancer and mangos contain some! Mango is home to antioxidants like quercetin, isoquercitrin, astragalin, fisetin, gallic acid and methylgallatwhich have been found to protect the body against colon, breast, leukemia and prostate cancers.
5. Clear Skin with Mango! Mangoes can help unclog pores and add freshness to the face. Mangoes are applicable to any skin type. They help clear clogged pores that cause acne. Simply slice a mango into thin pieces and keep them on the face for 10 to 15 minutes and then take bath or wash face and see the results.
Honestly, it isn’t about beating out other fruits, that was just a ploy to make the article a bit more interesting. It is about eating healthy foods that work to keep the body nourished and vibrant. Mango season is March -August depending on the variety and are grown primarily close to the equator in tropical climates. Next time you are at the store and there’s a mango, don’t be shy go ahead, put it in your cart!